I always love baking seasonally, especially when I am given delicious produce. This cake is perfect for making the most of the apples that are currently in season. It is a deliciously moist cake, perfect with a cup of tea and is also great for lunch boxes or as an after school treat. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 150g soft butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 120g plain flour
- 80g ground almonds
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eating apples, peeled, cored and sliced.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (fan), 200C, gas mark 6 and line a 20cm baking tin,
- Cream the butter and sugar, using an electric whisk, until light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs and vanilla and gradually add to the butter mixture until well combined.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, almonds and baking powder, then fold into the cake mixture until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and arrange the apple slices on top. Sprinkle with a tablespoon of caster sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
- Serve with a big mug of tea.
- Store in a airtight container.