Simple Sausage Roll Recipe
Whether it is for a party or picnic, sausage rolls are always a big hit and this simple recipe is so much nicer than the shop bought variety and well worth the little bit of effort involved. Plus you have a much better idea of what is going into them.
- 6 good quality sausages
- 375g pack of ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Handful of sesame seeds or nigella seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees (gas mark 7). Unroll the pastry sheet and cut it length ways down the middle.
- Remove the skin from the sausages and evenly spread them out down each length of the pastry, and cut the pastry across so each sausage has its own square. (If you wanted you could always spread the pastry with a little Caramelised Onion Chutney)
- Mix the egg yolk and milk to use as a glue on the edge of each square of pastry. Fold the pastry over, wrapping the sausages up and push the edges together, and place them joint-side down on a lightly oiled baking tray.
- Brush the tops with the rest of the egg and sprinkle some sesame or nigella seeds over them.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden. Best served warm.