I might love chocolate however, I am always drawn to cakes with fruit. Therefore this month’s recipe of the month is this delicious comforting and very easy, Apple and Almond cake. Delicious served warm with a cup of tea, as an afterschool snack or heated with ice cream or cream as a dessert. YUMMY and possibly one of your 5 a day!
Apple and Almond Cake
150g soft butter
150g caster sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
120g plain flour
80g ground almonds
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
2 large eating apples, peeled, cored and sliced.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (fan), 200C, gas mark 6 and line a 20cm baking tin,
- Cream the butter and sugar, using an electric whisk, until light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs and vanilla and gradually add to the butter mixture until well combined.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, almonds and baking powder, then fold into the cake mixture until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and arrange the apple slices on top. Sprinkle with a tablespoon of caster sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
- Serve with a big mug of tea.